Saturday, September 7, 2013

Introduction and my thoughts on media in education

Hello everyone, my name is Jason Brown. I am 23 years old and a senior here at Northridge, going through my last semester. I am studying to become a high school English teacher. My hobbies include playing video games, reading when I have the opportunity and playing fantasy football. I am married to a wonderful woman and we have two cute little dogs that keep us from having good night's sleep. I currently work for a driving school to teach the youth of Los Angeles how to drive.

When it comes to technology in the classroom, I think that it has both positive and negative effects. I do believe that the use of tablets, iPads and laptops are a benefit when it comes to the amount of information that is available is extensive. Answers to questions are at the fingertips of students. Add the use of this technology in classroom which allows for easier note taking which allows for the notes to be extensive. 

However, even with this added benefit, there comes the distraction of the internet. Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, tumblr and other distractions do exist which can resort to people not paying attention in class. So the added use of technology can lead to added distractions which leads to lower grades. There are benefits and non-benefits to adding technology so I would say that it has to base on the willingness of the teacher to want to teach with that new technology.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Jason,

    I completely agree with you that technology in the classroom can have both negative and positive effects. Even an adult like myself (Who should know better) is always fighting distractions on the internet when I'm trying to do my work. How can we hope children will be able to do better? I think schools need to have solid tech support before even attempting to introduce Ipads. But given the history with public education, you can be sure we're going to have some disasters before we finally figure it out.

    What games do you play?
    ~Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also agree with what you have said. I think that only certain websites should be allowed to be accessed through the schools computers. those of which should only be related to the classes being taught and information that will be helpful to the students and teachers. I also think that with solid tech support that their should be a kind of shut off link to the internet from a teachers main control of the students devices so that during tests they cannot look up answers.

    -Corey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jason I do agree with you that technology can be a distraction for some students especially with sites such as Facebook and Twitter so easily accessible. However, some students could benefit from having certain content materials at their fingertips. For those students who need more detail on a particular subject, having the internet to help any questions they may have can be very beneficial. I think another factor to consider in the involvement of technology in the classrooms is wheatear the teachers can get adequate fast tech support when they encounter problems. If for whatever reason the resources are slowing down the class rather than making it more efficient then technology can become a problem.

    ReplyDelete